70 mAnsager Chronicle
The chronicle links the square, church, and shopping streets in a single town walk.
The square lies right where Ansager’s town center comes together: by the church and the streets that draw people through town. It is not a large square, but it has the kind of location that makes a place important in everyday life. People pass through it, wait there, meet there — and perhaps only notice it when they think about how much of the town’s life has actually taken place here.
The name The Triangle is linked to the local understanding of the square as a triangular urban space. Today it is more than just a roadside area by the church: the water feature gives the place a contemporary feel, while the older traces around the square point back to a kiosk, sausage stand, telephone booth, and other everyday functions that once made the area even more practical.
Ansager Church gives the square weight without completely taking over. The church is medieval, and its oldest parts belong to the Romanesque period. Around the churchyard there are old boundary markers and stone walls, so the square stands at the meeting point between the daily rhythm of the town and a much older framework. It is precisely this mix that makes the place local: a little traffic, a little lingering, a little memory — and a church that is always on the edge of the field of view.
The fountain on the square was not made to be insignificant. Architect Peter Villadsen's work was called both beautiful, ugly, special and fantastic, and he gladly welcomed the divided opinions at the inauguration in 2007.
The children quickly made it their own: they climbed on it and splashed around in the water. In 2013, a flower bed was removed to make more room for play, but in 2025 the fountain was included in the plans for a new, greener square.
The archive photo shows eight men on the Square in Ansager around 1915. They are not anonymous extras: the archive record mentions, among others, former rural mail carrier Poul Thomsen, Thomas Thomsen known as “little Thomas,” and Hans Jensen known as “big Hans”.
The Square was located by the smaller open space where the town’s main streets meet close to Ansager Church. The image therefore captures not just a group of men, but a small centre, where people could stand, sit, and keep an eye on town life.
In a postcard photo from 1910, Dalgasstenen stands on the square in Ansager, with the town’s first school in the background. The small memorial points out over the square and into the great Jutland story of heath, land, and utility.
Enrico Mylius Dalgas was an officer, civil engineer, and the first director of the Danish Heath Society. The words “What is lost outwardly must be won inwardly” are often associated with him, but originate from the poet H.P. Holst.
The square – also known as Trekanten – has long been Ansager’s place for shared moments. Here the town gathered after the liberation in 1945, the Square Day was held here, and the Marie Festival has used the space as a practical hub.
The photo shows 9th grade from Ansager School, who in 2019 marked the end of the school year right here. A small square, but with a clear function: when something needs to be shared, it happens in the middle of town.